Author Topic: Articles, Links, Quotes & Pictures Relating To The Controversy  (Read 14806 times)

Offline Mattswad

• The Mayor of Cliftondale & 'Merca's Next Top President
  • Ultimate Pimp
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: March 04, 2015, 11:54:17 AM
  • $$$ Vict0ry in Mattswad needs YOUR $$$
    • View Profile
    • Matthew Lewis Music on Reverb Nation
Both good and bad.

Assuming this is supposed to be the engine in question, but no way to tell:

http://fullthrottle.cranialcavity.net/carl-long-blown-engines-mean-something

From a response by racer31:
the infractions were very minimal. the bore was .0007 over(in only 1 cylinder) and the stroke was .0004 longer. it was that close. I was there to watch the officials tear it down with carl?s team. I over heard him saying he bought the motor used and with a small budget team like that they probably couldn?t afford to buy a motor ready to race and then pay someone to re-check the numbers. If anything he over trusted who ever he purchased the motor from. I really feel bad for the team because Nascar is only trying to make a statement out of them.
http://www.thenascarinsiders.com/2009/05/20/nascar-lowers-the-boom-on-carl-long-and-rightly-so/

A response by FreeCarl:
Bore^2 x Stroke x .7854 x 8 = Cubic Inches

A .001″ inch smaller bore would of put them in the clear. .001″ would drop the cubic inches 0.17. Were they cheating, sure. Was there intent? Obviously not. .001″???
For those that don?t know how small that is. Take the average human hair which is .003″ and split it 3 times. Were they blatantly cheating? I think not.

Both of the above in response to this blog:
http://www.thenascarinsiders.com/2009/05/20/nascar-lowers-the-boom-on-carl-long-and-rightly-so/comment-page-1/#comment-8158

A few new quotes by Carl:
http://www.centredaily.com/sports/motorsports/story/1302323.html

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder instead of one slammed shut by belief.

Offline Mattswad

• Ultimate Pimp
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Re: Articles, Links, Quotes & Pictures Relating To The Controversy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
I support this petition. As both an experienced Engineer and a former member of group of \"Special\" individuals charged with performing a variety of tasks \"off the grid\", I can personally and professionally attest to having faced this same kind of sensless, anal-rentitive reactionary thinking put forth by bureaucratic hardliners whose primary motivation in life seems to be \"right\" at all costs, when in the eyes of most rational and sensible people, they couldn\'t be more wrong if they set out to achieve that one goal, and had all of the means/resources necessary to do so. People make genuine oversights, and there should be appropriate review and measured responses to such oversights. In this case, and apparently others from what I\'ve discovered as a result of reading about this fiasco with Mr. Long and NASCAR, being \"right\" does not necessarily have to include destroying someone\'s career, hopes and dreams in order to respond to a perceived violation or apparent oversight of adherence to rules and regulations. NASCAR - have a little bit more faith in people, including your drivers and fans of the sport, because most of us know how to spot something that\'s \"not right\" when we hear/see it, and this one is IMPOSSIBLE to miss - NASCAR, you got it WRONG! Now, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, before we have to let YOU go, and turn our backs on YOU!! De Oppressor Liber!

From the petition! Wow! Its growing pretty fast!!

Sorry about all of the / lines. Don't know why it puts them there on somethings??

But well said!!!

There's hope for the world yet!
I would rather have a mind opened by wonder instead of one slammed shut by belief.

Offline Paul

• Last Login: March 18, 2017, 04:40:42 PM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »

Offline Josh

• Legend Member
  • Last Login: January 08, 2017, 10:54:22 PM
  • One of the first on Carl's board!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »
Everyone see the video under the ESPN video section on Jayski's site about the penalty?

Offline Tom

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: August 12, 2014, 04:53:05 PM
    • View Profile
    • Carl Long Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:17:30 AM »
This sure turned out to be a huge deal. Crazy...
Never Give Up.

Offline johntenneyracing

• Last Login: June 13, 2013, 06:24:10 AM
  • "Grand Poobah"
    • View Profile
    • Orlando Runners and Riders
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:38:38 AM »
It should be.  It's an outrage.

Still - the Conspiracy Theorist in me wonders - what if this is a setup?  Black Helicopters anyone?

Offline Mattswad

• Ultimate Pimp
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:44:10 AM »
And you just recently accused *ME* of being a conspiracy nutjob, Tenney!  :P

I also give some degree of credibility to the theory that this is all part of an elaborate master plan to cover up the Mayfield/drugs fiasco....sweep it under the rug by creating another equally controversial news piece.

Let's face it, Jeremy has more fans and is a bigger name than Carl right now. Also there is so much question in the Mayfield saga. I'm betting NA$CAR thought that this would be a black-and-white issue. IE: "He broke the rules...we have physical unquestionable 0.17' proof....so lets create a big story out of this! Surely the fans can't say we (NA$CAR) are lying here because here is the physical evidence and proof. Then they will forget about our possible drug-testing faux-pas." (or ever how that's spelled!)

God, poor Jeremy & Carl. Sitting in NA$CAR's jail cell surrounded by thugs, murderers and REAL druggies. I can imagine the conversation now:

What are you in for?
I did heroin in the Disneyland parking lot with my girlfriend and usually raced while on it.

What are you in for?
I put nitros oxide & anthrax in Michael Waltrip's gas tank. Actually, I've been free for years now, I'm just hoping to find that "special someone" here in jail.

What are you in for?
Attempted murder after I assembled a COT roll-cage out of used toilet paper rolls.

What are you in for?
I am a terrorist/white supremicist/Nazi and thus guilty of hate-crimes. At least that's what NA$CAR said when they through me in here after I had a Confederate battle flag sticker on the bumper of my pickup truck.

So Jeremy, what are you in for?
Claritin-D. Life without the possibility of parole.

Carl, what are you in for?
0.17 of an inch. Death sentence.

Offline Paul

• View Profile

Offline _Steve_

• OEF AFSOC VET UW-STOUT STUDENT
  • THE CHIEF
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: May 22, 2017, 07:47:20 PM
  • Still love the Cup Series!
    • View Profile
Might move out to NC after College just to be closer to the sport!

Offline Paul

• View Profile

Offline Frankie

• The Bids
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: January 20, 2013, 12:35:58 PM
    • View Profile

Offline DDLONG

• The Long Clan
  • Last Login: May 09, 2011, 06:31:13 PM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
http://www.hardcoreracefans.com/nascar-cup-news/4172-carl-long-tells-his-side-of-the-story

thats a hell of an article. thanks.

In it Carl says Dover might be his last race... is he running Dover?

He'll be the crew chief for the #37.

Carl will not be crew chiefing for the 37 car, unfortunately!!  He is trying to find someone with a really good nationwide car that might give him a chance.  The team would get awesome T.V coverage and not to mention they would look like a hero helping Carl with what could be his last race ever!!  He loves Dover!!

Offline Frankie

• The Bids
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: January 20, 2013, 12:35:58 PM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
http://www.hardcoreracefans.com/nascar-cup-news/4172-carl-long-tells-his-side-of-the-story

thats a hell of an article. thanks.

In it Carl says Dover might be his last race... is he running Dover?

He'll be the crew chief for the #37.

Carl will not be crew chiefing for the 37 car, unfortunately!!  He is trying to find someone with a really good nationwide car that might give him a chance.  The team would get awesome T.V coverage and not to mention they would look like a hero helping Carl with what could be his last race ever!!  He loves Dover!!

My bad lol. Hopefully someone will let him run. Jr should let him run the 5 or something.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:!!!

Offline Fish

• Last Login: May 09, 2017, 08:33:03 AM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »

I'd love to see Carl at Dover! Let's see who would meet that criteria:

For Nationwide, here are some teams. They are somewhat ranked "most likely" to "least likely", but there at the end I just started throwing out names. I believe the first eight or nine are really worth a shot:

MacDonald--Runs only one car, usually with D.J. Kennington, but Kennington has commitments to race in Canada so he usually has to find someone to run for him. Carl should give MacDonald a call to see if D.J. is running this race. This team is locked in.

Rick Ware--31 and 41. maybe Carl should give Rick a call. He's got two teams, maybe Carl could get into one of them. Not bad equipment.

Corrie Stott Racing--The 02. Needs sponsorship, but has ran many races without it. Driven by Andy Poinstien, but maybe he'd give up his seat for Carl. Also has a Truck. Possibly should give them a call...?

Front Row--Has only ran one car this season (#34), but since Carl's an employee maybe they'd run a second one for him...?

Day Enterprises--The 05 or the 85, neither are locked in. The 05 is usually driven by Atwood, though they've given him up in the past. They're not committed to running him exclusively. Has sponsorship. Could be a possibility.

SK Motorsports--The 07. Needs sponsorship, but has ran many races this season without it. Obviously parked it this week though. But if they find sponsorship, they'll no doubt run the race.

Braun Racing--Either the 10 or 32. Usually goes with a Cup driver though, but maybe willing to take a chance with Carl. Has full sponsorship on the 32, but only part on the 10. Both are locked in.

Jimmy Means--52. Kevin says he is going to drive, but I figure Donnie Neuenberger will at Dover. They are unsponsored if Kevin drives; Donnie will no doubt bring something to the table.

RAB Racing--The 09. Team has sponsorship and a driver, but said driver (John Wes Townley) has put the team outside of the Top 30. DNQed at Lowe's; got beat by just about everybody, despite decent equipment. They might need a veteran driver just to get into the show at Dover, let alone help them "shake down" their equipment.

Baker-Curb Racing--A second Curb team (formerly Brewco; #27). Not likely, just throwing out another name. I don't believe they've ran a second car this season, but I *could* be wrong. They've ran up to three last season.

JTG Racing--A second car maybe? Their main car, by the way, is the #47, but they ran two cars last year (#47 and 59), but they've only ran the 47 this year. Probably unlikely.

Specialty Racing--Seems to be running every race with Brandon Whitt this season. Team needs sponsorship, but keeps coming to the track every week. They too are locked in.

ML Motorsports--The 70. Seems pretty content with Shelby Howard. Has a bit of sponsorship.

Travis Carter Racing--Not sure if Carter still has any Nationwide equipment. Ran one race last season, none this season. His equipment was usually pretty good when it wasn't in the process of being wrecked. Carl and Travis have worked together many times in the past.

Sadler Brothers Racing--Believe they've partnered with Rensi/Hamilton, and now focus on late models and short track racing. But, hey, maybe they still have a car. Worth a shot.

And for the Truck Series:

Jim Rosemblum: First name that came to mind. Has attempted a couple of Truck races this year with different drivers.

Mittler Brothers: Ran a race or two this season. Ran Lowe's with Ben Stancill, but appears to have no driver obligation.

Brent Raymer: Only other team I could think of off the top of my head. Raymer has been running most of the races, but he's a rookie with a rookie team. maybe a Veteran like Carl could help "shake down" their equipment.

I'm sure I'm missing many. Feel free to add teams or thoughts.

EDIT: Call Dale Earnhardt Junior, Rick Hendrick, whoever! Frankie is right; that would be AWESOME seeing Carl in the 5...and then seeing the 5 in victory lane! Junior always praises Carl, and once said he hoped if Truex didn't get voted in, that Carl got voted into The Allstar race since he was such a good racer. It may just be hoping, but I believe Junior may give Carl a chance since Earnhardt Jr. is such a fan of Carls (and considering it could be Carl's last race...)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:53:45 PM by Fish »
Go Carl!!!

Offline Mattswad

• Ultimate Pimp
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
Or even ol' Mikeo could put him in a MWR Dream Machine again!!! I'm sure DW has some degree of pull in that team and he just said some really nice things about Carl in the pre-rain show. Besides, he still owes Carl from 2000! ;)

Gosh, could you imagine the "dream story" of Carl having any degree of sucess in the "Dream Machine" after so many of the headlines this week have been about Carl's lifelong DREAM being crushed by NA$CAR!!!!!

That's truly a sponsor's DREAM publicity/story too!!!  

Is anyone running the #17 in Nationwide? If not, Carl's car number should TOTALLY be ".17" !!!!!!!!  (I should be in marketing :D )Do trucks still run at Dover? Anyone in the #17 there?

Would be great if FRM even put him in the 37 or something in Cup...

I'm assuming that Carl is probably out of Cup motors now. Heck, maybe he could call on that favor and if nothing else, Mikey would let him borrow an MWR engine. Probably would take a ton of work adapting it to Carl's Dodge though. (if that's even allowed) Maybe he still has an old Dodge motor from BDR before Toyota entered the series???

I think it would be a good idea for one or 2 of us to pitch that idea to Aarons!!!! Maybe they'll like it and really get behind the campaign? It can't hurt & don't forget, Carl drove the Aarons Dream Machine in Cup @ Homestead a few years back so he already has business dealings with them and MWR.

Anyone know who to contact regarding this? Any idea of *how* to go about it? Any volunteers to contact someone?