Author Topic: Articles, Links, Quotes & Pictures Relating To The Controversy  (Read 14808 times)

Offline rickmastfan67

• Local NR2003 Painter
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: March 12, 2016, 03:52:36 AM
  • Thanks for the memories Civic (Mellon) Arena.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrafx Racing
Re: Articles, Links, Quotes & Pictures Relating To The Controversy
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Go Carl!!  That was one awesome rant!! :thumbsup:
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Offline psugorilla

• Last Login: February 15, 2015, 10:25:40 PM
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:40 PM »
finally got my response in. Lets see if he approves it LOL

here it is just in case

Ok I think it is time I chime in on this ordeal. Shawn, you are right; Noone forced Carl to come in and play with the big dogs. You're right, this rules violation is a big thing.
But that is where your correctness ceases.
Carl Long is one of the most well respected gentlemen in the garage. There is probably not a soul in there who doesnt like Carl. With one exception. NASCAR!
 Here are some facts for you to wrap your mind around. Carl Long is heavily underfunded, yes, but he, like Dave Marcis, and so many others before him, have done so much with so little for so long that he can do anything with nothing. So few people seem to remember that it was Carl who gave up his ride in what was to be his first ever CUP race to DW so he could race in his final Coke 600. Fewer still seem to remeber Carl was the guy that really broke the McGlynn's into Cup racing by qualifying a car that honestly had no business being on the track.
Carl does this the right way. He works his butt off with Front Row Motorsports and saves his money so that he can go and run a race or two during a year. When he gets some extra sponsorship he tries more races. Carl drives old school. He is the epitome of what the sport was created for, and what it used to be.
You go back even as recent as the mid-late 90's and look at the teams. There were many full-timers but a lot of part timers. Because they didn't have the equipment or the sponsorship to run every week, they ran when they had money. That's what real NASCAR was and should be today.
 As for Carl's engine. The engine was not oversized when he bought it from ernie elliott. Yes, he bought the engine.....did not build it. The head gasket melted into the engine when it blew, that's how hot it got. Have you ever super heated metal????? NO? well I can tell you it expands! Carl has limited resources and limited equipment at his disposal. Do you really think he can afford all the shaker rigs and pull down machines, and dyno testers? NO. How can you possibly sit there in your comfy little chair at your rediculous little cubicle and blame him for the infraction?
Come on, spit it out, how is he the guilty party?
We, as Carl Long fans have been donating what we can to help Carl. Carl gives us someone worthy of being cheered for unlike Dale Jr, Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson and the other "big dogs" that have everything handed to them.
Are they all talented? Of course they are, do they belong? well 3 championships kind of seals that deal and winning seemingly almost every other race is a strong argument but what about Mr. Popularity himself? lets face it Junior is a never was, who got his ride because of daddy. His so-called fans....all fake.... only claim him because of his daddy.
Carl's fans.... its because of what he represents. the working man, the guy chasing his dream with whatever he can. Carl didn't come in all his own. He was first brought up by Thee Dixon, later drove for Foster Price, Rick Ware, Trix Racing, McGlynn Racing, John Carter (EM Motorsports) and others. When Carl flipped the only car he had in his shop at Rockingham in 04, the fans outpoured donations to help build a new car. Carl's response? A big "Thank You Fans" decal plastered on the hood. Would any of the hendrick or roush guys do that? Maybe Mark Martin but he would be the only one and I wouldnt count on that.

One question was if an infraction like this has ever happened....YES multiple times. Most recently, in the 90's when the #11 team owned by Junior Johnson had a much bigger engine than even Carl had. They got a much smaller fine (20k I think it was) and suspended for 12 races. On appeal the suspension was lowered to four. and I believe the fine was reduced. The driver was not suspended. So JJ sold the team to his wife for a buck they changed the number to 97 and ran the next few races anyways.

Carl races the way Nascar was created to be. Where anyone who had a car and a group of guys to help could come out and compete. Nascar has lost sight of that. You, obviously, never had sight of that. People need to remember the way it used to be. Remember when racing in the Cup series meant something. Now the top 35 get everything handed to them. Nascar couldn't bear to watch someone like Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr fail to qualify for a race so they gave them a break. Its a joke! Nascar has become a joke and your little comparison to a bail-out is a joke!

The bottom line is NASCAR knowingly screwed Carl Long. Nascar knowingly owes carl Long. You, sir, OWE Carl Long a sincere apology. No questions asked!
Good day!
Mike Carroll
Viper Designs
True Fan of the Real NASCAR
"im going to drive right up there and win that son-of-a-b**** " - Carl Long

Offline Mountain Man

• Last Login: December 03, 2011, 09:47:40 AM
  • C.O.T.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »
I really don't think the article by Shawn was all that bad for Carl. Let's look at this rationaly

Every article written about Carl's situation either good or bad is more exposure for Carl. I would be interested to know how many people who read Shawn's blog donated money, of those how many would not have had Shawn not mentioned it? Those who posted negatively with respect to their feelings about Carl, oh well they weren't going to donate anyway. I think it is worth repeating, nobody who read Shawn's blog was on the fence about donating to Carl, after reading it some people may very well have gone over and donated to the cause, but I highly doubt somebody who was thinking about donating had their mind changed by this blog. I think the important part for Carl's fans when articles are written like this are to respond appropriately. Yes it is fun to get into a cyber argument, but the better PR for Carl, his fans, and the fund drive would be:

I'm a Carl Long fan, neither Carl nor myself deny the motor was out of NASCAR specifications. As a fan I do not agree with the punishment, but this is out of my control. However as a fan and member of the www.carl-long.com community I want to see my favorite driver back on the race track. So we as a community are doing what we can to get him back on track. If you don't agree with what we are doing it is your right, however it won't stop us from giving our underdog driver with a grassroots team all the support our little community can and we look forward to seeing Carl on the track soon.

I believe in the Winston Cup, the Firecracker 400, World 600, and the drivers earning top rides through years of struggles..and I like it that way.

Offline Josh

• Legend Member
  • Last Login: January 08, 2017, 10:54:22 PM
  • One of the first on Carl's board!
    • View Profile

Mobil1fan

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »
That Shawn Courchese is still retarded, I see...

Offline Frankie

• The Bids
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: January 20, 2013, 12:35:58 PM
    • View Profile

Offline Mattswad

• The Mayor of Cliftondale & 'Merca's Next Top President
  • Ultimate Pimp
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: March 04, 2015, 11:54:17 AM
  • $$$ Vict0ry in Mattswad needs YOUR $$$
    • View Profile
    • Matthew Lewis Music on Reverb Nation
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2010, 07:21:27 AM »
A much older "controversy" when NA$CRAP once again decided to screw over Carl Long by banning one of his former sponsors, Liquid Salvation water because it featured a logo depicting female "devil" type figure.

http://www.racingwest.com/news/articles/10495-liquid-salvation-trades-paint-in-nascar-fast-lane.html
I would rather have a mind opened by wonder instead of one slammed shut by belief.

Offline rickmastfan67

• Local NR2003 Painter
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Last Login: March 12, 2016, 03:52:36 AM
  • Thanks for the memories Civic (Mellon) Arena.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrafx Racing
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
Thought this was the best thread to post this in.

Was at the Waltrip shop yesterday for the autographing session.  Was able to talk to Reutimann for a sec.  He's still wishes there was a way to help Carl out more.

On another note, there was at least one other Carl Long fan there.  Saw somebody in a fan club shirt (I was in the Millstar fan shirt, you know, the long sleeve one).
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.